Sunset Moth Verso Madagascar Moth Classic Black Displays
Species: Chrysiridia Madagascarensis Verso
Common Name: Sunset Moth
Also Known as: Urania rhipheus
Native Origin: Madagascar
Frame Size: 6.5″ square
Frame Color: Classic Black
Wood Frame: Finest Handmade Museum Quality Sealed Shadowbox Display.
Glass: 99% UV Blocking Museum Grade Conservation Glass to Prevent Insect Fading.
Background: Solid White Backing
Materials: Archival & Acid Free materials. Picture Hanger Included.
Description: Sunset Moth Verso Madagascar Moth. Yes this really is a moth not a butterfly. Actually, this is a day flying moth. The vibrant colors reflect light to create a rainbow. The native Malagasy people in Madagascar call the sunset moth Lolonandriana, from lolo for spirit and andriana for noble or king meaning noble spirit or king spirit. Unlike many other moths the color of the wings does not come from pigments. The color comes from light reflected by the microstructure of the ribbon like scales covering the moth’s wings.
This beautiful day flying is often mistaken as a butterfly even when it was first discovered by Dru Drury, who described it in 1773 and placed it in the butterfly genus Papilio. Unlike most moths the sunset moth is day flying moth. The bright green red and golden color is a warning to predators that it is poisonus.
These moths are also named Urania rhipheus but were first described as a moth in 1831 by Jacob Hübner as Chrysiridia Madagascarensis
About our Butterfly & Insect Displays
Real Framed Butterflies & Framed Insect Taxidermy
Wholesale Insects & Real Butterfly Gifts
Since 1992 Online Since 1999
- 99% UV Blocking Conservation glass so the specimens will never fade over time
- Built with the Finest Archival/Acid Free materials
- We never use imported frames!
- Solid handmade, artisan, real wood shadow box frames.
- Built one at a time by us so the specimens inside fit perfectly.
- Our frame corners are pinned without unsightly screws.Each display is double Sealed for years of add protection (both the glass face as well as a protective seal over the back)
- Building the finest insect displays since 1992 & online since 1999
- Experienced shippers of fragile items for safe arrival
- We also offer custom displays created just for you
- Our displays have been used as props in movies and tv for decades
- Have a store? We also offer wholesale.
- 100% handmade by us in the USA
- We offer the largest selection of Butterflies Moths & Insects available
- also offering Taxidermy reptiles, amphibians, Sea life, bats & Birds
- Specimens are Prepared, Preserved & Spread to Museum Standards
- Looking for that unusual insect chances are we have it just ask.
We offer every class of insects including
butterflies, moths, beetles, grasshoppers, damselflies, dragonflies. Leaf hoppers, katydids, walking stick insects, walking leaf insects, cicadas, lanternflies, praying mantis, true bugs, spiders, scorpions, tarantulas, centipedes, millipedes, scarabs and more…
If you own a retail store and you would like to consider adding our taxidermy displays to your inventory, we welcome wholesale inquiries. You can find our wholesale website here: www.wholesaleinsects.com